Sunday, March 25, 2012

Download: SQL Server Management Studio Express

I have an instance of SQL Server 2005 running on a server. I know that Management Studio is available to me on the server through Programs.

What do I need on my client computer used for development to access the instance on the server? Is it as simple as a shortcut to the server Management Studio exe? Do I access it through Internet Explorer? Or what do I have to install on the client to be able to manager the server DB's?

Apparently this must be very easy because I've looked all over and can't find the answer. Thank you in advance.

Use the SQL Server installation CD, and choose the "Install Client Tools" options. At least you'll need to install client connectivity, and if you want the query editor, and other development tools, then you'll need the Management Studio.

I don't think it's just as simple as creating a shortcut link to the management studio EXE file on your server, you're best off installing it properly.|||

installed client components, as per description, client connectivity but there is no management studio only 2 tools: 'Surface Area Configuration' and '...Configueation Manager' - it doesn't realy help!

I'd like to have the management studio on client ... how can I get it?

|||Have a look at the following thread on MSDN's Channel 9. Others were having a similar issue.
http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=142941

It appears that you may need to launch it separately from the Tools directory on your installation media.|||the reason: IE6SP1 was absent! after installation I could choose management studio from DVD/TOOLS. Thanks!|||Are the management tools available for Download?|||For the Express edition, you can download it here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/

If you're using the Standard/Enterprise/Developer edition, it should be on your installation media (DVD > TOOLS directory)

No comments:

Post a Comment