Tuesday, March 27, 2012

DR replication-how to's

Let me start with this: We have a critical SQL application on a Win 2003
with SQL 2000 sp3a. I set up another Win 2003 server with SQL 2000 sp3a.
From posts read I believe log shipping is what I want, the files can be
replicated overnight and appears to be easiest to manage. OK, my questions:
do I want log shipping? Is that the easiest way for DR purposes, ie recovery
time?
Also, I'm running into problems and I can't seem to find a simple how to do
this on microsoft's site. My number one problem appears to stem from the
initial installation, it was submitted as a local instance. Is there a way
around this? Say, make the backup server as the distrubutor and subscriber
and then make the main a publisher?
Another problem I'm having is that it's failing on the Distrubutor portion,
it's saying it fails because it is a local system account. WHen I go tto
change the account every user on the server is either unknown or invalid.
Does anyone know a solution for this? Is there any documentation? I can't
seem to find help on microsoft's site.
First off, log shipping is probably the best choice for a DR solution.
Replication can work, but you need to do a fair amount of configuring to
make this work.
I am a little confused by your second and third questions. You suddenly
start talking about replication.If you are talking about a remote
distributor, then it seems like you are using replication to provide DR.
Please review this kb article to understand the complexity of what you are
trying to do.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;886839
I think you third problem results from not having created a local NT user
account. Create this account, put it in the sys admins role, and then have
SQL Server agent run under this account.
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602.html
Looking for a FAQ on Indexing Services/SQL FTS
http://www.indexserverfaq.com
"Mike" <Mike@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3E7923F1-C4D3-46D0-830E-0DCB04236C55@.microsoft.com...
> Let me start with this: We have a critical SQL application on a Win 2003
> with SQL 2000 sp3a. I set up another Win 2003 server with SQL 2000 sp3a.
> From posts read I believe log shipping is what I want, the files can be
> replicated overnight and appears to be easiest to manage. OK, my
questions:
> do I want log shipping? Is that the easiest way for DR purposes, ie
recovery
> time?
> Also, I'm running into problems and I can't seem to find a simple how to
do
> this on microsoft's site. My number one problem appears to stem from the
> initial installation, it was submitted as a local instance. Is there a
way
> around this? Say, make the backup server as the distrubutor and
subscriber
> and then make the main a publisher?
> Another problem I'm having is that it's failing on the Distrubutor
portion,
> it's saying it fails because it is a local system account. WHen I go tto
> change the account every user on the server is either unknown or invalid.
> Does anyone know a solution for this? Is there any documentation? I
can't
> seem to find help on microsoft's site.
sql

1 comment:

ICS Cyber Security said...

Very informative blog... I found very useful information for DR replication. Thanks for sharing

Post a Comment