Thursday, March 29, 2012

Drawbacks of putting transaction log on system drive

Hi,
I use MS SQL Server 2000 SP3a on MS Windows 2000 Advanced Server (latest).
Would I come across any drawbacks if I put all transaction log files of a
database onto the system (OS installation) drive along with a page file and
maybe the tempdb? Most of the load in my database is due to read operations.
-- Many thanks, Oskar.Oskar wrote:
> Hi,
> I use MS SQL Server 2000 SP3a on MS Windows 2000 Advanced Server (latest).
> Would I come across any drawbacks if I put all transaction log files of a
> database onto the system (OS installation) drive along with a page file an
d
> maybe the tempdb? Most of the load in my database is due to read operation
s.
> -- Many thanks, Oskar.
>
Hi Oskar
There will most likely be a performance hit the more files you put on
the same drive, but if it will be noticable or a problem is hard to say
without knowing your load and application. The best advice it to test it
as good as you can and then make your decicion based on your tests.
Regards
Steen Schlüter Persson
Database Administrator / System Administrator

No comments:

Post a Comment