Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Downloading from AS 400

I am trying to use Integration Services for something I've never done before; i.e., download a few files from an AS 400 and then turn around an email them to a user.

My basic problem is that I don't know where to start to get the files from the AS400 to a directory on the SQL Server. I have an Iseries ODBC connection configured correctly that will let me get to the files. Do I use a file system task to get the files from the AS 400 or do I use a data flow task? Don't know what task to start with. Once I get the files into a directory on the SQL server I don't think I will have any trouble emailing them.

I know it's a silly question but I've looked at a couple of books without any obvious answer popping out.

Steve Wells

if you are trying to get he files as files then your most likely solution woudl be to use FTP to transfer them. The ODBC connectivity, such as it is in SSIS, is for accessing data as rowsets.

Donald Farmer

No comments:

Post a Comment