Friday, February 24, 2012

Domain Rename - effect on SQL

Hi everyone,
I'm planning an Active Directory Domain Rename shortly - however we have a
number of SQL Servers (2000) on the domain running integrated security.
If I rename the domain, will it cause a problem with Intrgrated security or
not? (the domain is technically the same, but a different name - e.g. users
SID's should be the same I think...!)
Cheers,
SteveHi Steve
I believe that you are correct, as the SIDS are not changing you should be
OK, but just in case you may want to run the script on
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246133/
John
"SteveHoot" wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I'm planning an Active Directory Domain Rename shortly - however we have a
> number of SQL Servers (2000) on the domain running integrated security.
> If I rename the domain, will it cause a problem with Intrgrated security or
> not? (the domain is technically the same, but a different name - e.g. users
> SID's should be the same I think...!)
> Cheers,
>
> Steve|||Thanks for that John - we're a development company, so if things do go
wrong then I'm for the chop. Guess the best thing to do is fire up a test
forest, domain and SQL server and give the rename a go there...!
Anyone got experience in this please let me know!
Thanks again for the help John - appreciated.
Steve.
=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBCZWxs?= <jbellnewsposts@.hotmail.com> wrote in
news:7B62A81D-748F-438F-B00C-B715F0D43F9D@.microsoft.com:
> Hi Steve
> I believe that you are correct, as the SIDS are not changing you
> should be OK, but just in case you may want to run the script on
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246133/
> John
> "SteveHoot" wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>> I'm planning an Active Directory Domain Rename shortly - however we
>> have a number of SQL Servers (2000) on the domain running integrated
>> security.
>> If I rename the domain, will it cause a problem with Intrgrated
>> security or not? (the domain is technically the same, but a different
>> name - e.g. users SID's should be the same I think...!)
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Steve|||Hi Steve
I have done migrations but not a rename, if you rename the actual
machine then you will need to drop the server as in
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/instsql/in_afterinstall_5r8f.asp
Plan your migration and make sure that you have contingencies for
failure at each step, backup the databases, script the jobs, users
etc..
Having a test domain is a very good idea.
John
Steve Hewitt wrote:
> Thanks for that John - we're a development company, so if things do go
> wrong then I'm for the chop. Guess the best thing to do is fire up a test
> forest, domain and SQL server and give the rename a go there...!
> Anyone got experience in this please let me know!
> Thanks again for the help John - appreciated.
>
> Steve.
>
> =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBCZWxs?= <jbellnewsposts@.hotmail.com> wrote in
> news:7B62A81D-748F-438F-B00C-B715F0D43F9D@.microsoft.com:
> > Hi Steve
> >
> > I believe that you are correct, as the SIDS are not changing you
> > should be OK, but just in case you may want to run the script on
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246133/
> >
> > John
> >
> > "SteveHoot" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> I'm planning an Active Directory Domain Rename shortly - however we
> >> have a number of SQL Servers (2000) on the domain running integrated
> >> security.
> >>
> >> If I rename the domain, will it cause a problem with Intrgrated
> >> security or not? (the domain is technically the same, but a different
> >> name - e.g. users SID's should be the same I think...!)
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >>
> >> Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment