Friday, February 24, 2012

Domain Change breaks replication

Over the weekend the IT infrastructure guys changed the domain name on all
our servers.
Replication is now failing with a "The agent is suspect. No response within
last 10 minutes". Both the Log Reader and Push subscription have this error.
The SQL Server agent seems to be fine. I have even rebooted the server and
the agent still seems to be running fine.
I have logged in with my new user name under the new domain. I have deleted
one of the old replications and added a new one. Same "The agent is suspect"
error message. Furthermore the "owner" of the new agent is my login under
the old domain.
I tried adding myself (new domain me) as a new user to the system, but it
fails with a "Error 15401: Windows NT user or group 'DOMAIN\username' not
found. Check the name again." Which is of course interesting since I logged
on to the server with that domain and username.
I have tried altering the "owner" of the relevant agents, but it doesn't
want to change to any of the owners set up prior to the domain change.
I have added some new users to the system, but now the message changes to
"Non-SysAdmins have been denied permission to run replication jobsteps
without a proxy account. The step failed."
Any ideas?
Thanks
Derek
After you kill the IT infrastructure guys try the following:
Check the SQL Server agent (and SQL Server service) on both the publisher
and subscriber is starting with an account in the new domain that has all
the necessary permissions (see Books on Line for Agent Login Security under
Replication Security). They may have been set back to the local system
account by the IT guys to get them to start.
Set the ownsership of all the jobs to "sa".
Good luck
--
Mary Bray [SQL Server MVP]
Please only reply to newsgroups
"Derek" <Derek@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4FEADBDF-4A4B-4E7F-8F81-83BD07BC3044@.microsoft.com...
> Over the weekend the IT infrastructure guys changed the domain name on all
> our servers.
> Replication is now failing with a "The agent is suspect. No response
> within
> last 10 minutes". Both the Log Reader and Push subscription have this
> error.
> The SQL Server agent seems to be fine. I have even rebooted the server
> and
> the agent still seems to be running fine.
> I have logged in with my new user name under the new domain. I have
> deleted
> one of the old replications and added a new one. Same "The agent is
> suspect"
> error message. Furthermore the "owner" of the new agent is my login under
> the old domain.
> I tried adding myself (new domain me) as a new user to the system, but it
> fails with a "Error 15401: Windows NT user or group 'DOMAIN\username' not
> found. Check the name again." Which is of course interesting since I
> logged
> on to the server with that domain and username.
> I have tried altering the "owner" of the relevant agents, but it doesn't
> want to change to any of the owners set up prior to the domain change.
> I have added some new users to the system, but now the message changes to
> "Non-SysAdmins have been denied permission to run replication jobsteps
> without a proxy account. The step failed."
> Any ideas?
> Thanks
> Derek
>
|||In addition to Mary's recommendations, you might find
this article useful:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q324321/
Rgds,
Paul Ibison SQL Server MVP, www.replicationanswers.com
(recommended sql server 2000 replication book:
http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602p.html)
|||Thanks guys
Eventually I took the login that starts SQL Server, gave it all the
permissions under the sun and set it as the owner of the replications.
This got it working, although each replication needed to think for a while
before it started again.
Unfortunately I can't kill the IT Infrastructure guys as I was asked 6 weeks
ago if I thought there would be any problems. I replied that the
replications would need to be set up, but completely forgot about it (even
though I knew they were doing it on the weekend) until I come in Monday and
replications aren't working.
Luckily I'm in Australia and they are in England, so I had a few hours to
get things working.
Later
Derek
"Paul Ibison" wrote:

> In addition to Mary's recommendations, you might find
> this article useful:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q324321/
> Rgds,
> Paul Ibison SQL Server MVP, www.replicationanswers.com
> (recommended sql server 2000 replication book:
> http://www.nwsu.com/0974973602p.html)
>

No comments:

Post a Comment